4.28.2011

66 - Spring Safari Barbie & A Tutorial & A Ton of Random Stuff

 
Everything is Vintage Except for... The Shoes - GoJane.com, The Bra - Forever 21, Jewelry - Konstantino + Flea Market Finds

I haven't updated in forever! Be prepared for a lot of rambling -- try to stay with me here, those of you who read the things I write. I know you're all just dying to know why I haven't been updating (sarcasm, clearly -- the blogosphere still turns [does anyone else hate the term "blogosphere"?]). It's a really glamorous story. So, Spring has officially been happening, and I had a crazy allergic reaction that created hell in one of my eyes, making it impossible for me to wear contact lenses or makeup. Simultaneously, I had an insane amount of work hit me at once, culminating in one super-crazy day in which I worked for 17 hours straight. Yes, you read that right. I worked a 17-hour day. I did not have time to photograph anything, and I doubt I wore anything photo-worthy, but everything I've been living in has been particularly nutty and hilarious. I have been wearing all sorts of really funny outfits that were thrown on in five minutes whilst partially blinded, including but not limited to:
1. Leggings worn as pants with a denim jacket buttoned up as though it were a shirt, topped off with a wool military cap
2. Ripped-to-shreds bell bottom jeans worn with a vintage Pat Benetar tee shirt and a giant chunky-knit beret
3. The above shirt worn un-tied and fully buttoned with my big round Mr. Magoo eyeglasses, khaki shorts, and a pair of my boyfriend's oxfords, which are approximately five sizes too large for me.

Today marked the first day that my ocular capacity allowed for the accommodation of contact lenses once again, so I honored to occasion by dressing like a real person and doing a real blog post. I built this outfit around the shoes, which I got for probably $20 on GoJane a couple of weeks ago. If you don't know about GoJane, it is a website which, to the best of my knowledge, is intended to dress junior-high school and high-school aged girls. I just shop there for the mega-affordable shoes. So, I built this outfit around the shoes, for which I was extremely excited, and then I didn't even get a good photo of them. They are wedges. I don't know what else you might think they are...kitten heels perhaps (ha!). Side note: DO YOU REMEMBER KITTEN HEEL FLIP FLOPS? Also of interest are my lightened eyebrows. They are obviously nowhere near the depths of Margaret's radsauce brow-job, but they are certainly lighter. I don't know how I feel about them yet, so please give me your input.

I picked up these nail polishes the other day while at the beauty supply store with my friend Abe:


Stoked on it! I'm wearing the jade color in the pictures above, and tonight, I repainted them that bizarre puce color. I almost feel like a girl.

Two other things of import to report (see what I did there?) are the fact that I was included along with some lovely ladies in a Bohemian Romantic feature on Grazia.it, and I have an article posted on Dolce & Gabbana's Swide.com! It's about how I try to trick people into thinking my skin is much better than it actually is.

And... by popular request, I made a quick video tutorial (forever-and-a-day-ago) on how to do that strange little side-braid messy-bun thing I've been doing lately. It's before I fixed my roots, so I'm looking good and trashy.


Lastly, I will respond to your emails soon, I promise! I don't usually take this long but I have been suffocating in real-job work lately. I will get back on a regular posting schedule soon!

32 comments:

  1. your short and your bra are truly beautiful! <3

    http://izumihiiiflower.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. T'es cheveux lissés comme ça c'est top !!
    J'adore tes chaussures, et la vidéo est top j'aime beaucoup !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this sweet outfit, so cute !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving this outfit and that you're feeling much better! I'm not sure about the whole contact lenses thing but I hear that once you start you never go back to glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like these outfit...lovely details...great photos and post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad sight has returned to you, haha. I love the lightened eyebrows! I think they make your face very youthful.

    Quick question: Which color Kevyn Aucoin foundation do you use? I think our skin tones are pretty similar, but I couldn't really determine the right swatch on their website. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. those outfits actually sounded really cute! i bet they looked adorable either way..this one is definitely blogosphere ready though. love it!!! :)
    xo
    francesca
    http://www.frankvinyl.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow your hair has gotten so long- it looks gorgeous, as do your eyebrows! Everything looks really soft and pretty.
    Oh, and regarding sweetheart bracelets: as far as I know, they're sort of like old-fashioned friendship bracelets. They're also called Expansion Bracelets, and seem to have been popular from the Victorian Era through the '50s. They usually have engraving on the inside denoting the date and occasion (my 1907 one has "November 23, 1907" and "love daddy", which I think is pretty cool and sort of creepy). There are some pretty fierce collectors so the prices can get insane. I was incredibly lucky to find a couple that were fairly reasonable.
    That's about all I know- I've tried to find more about their history but have pretty much come up empty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy shit your hair looks AMAZING!! Definitely love the brows. A+++++

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh kitten heel flip flops...
    I used to work at H&M and some girl returned kitten heel flip flops, which she bought TWO YEARS AGO...and she returned them because the kitten heel broke off. We took them back. I couldn't believe it.
    Anyhow, I really love your hair down, and the denim cutoffs are adorable!

    Cad

    ReplyDelete
  12. will you marry me? Ok thanks. That video was just precious... I love the new hair and the eyebrows look normal... I like them lighter actually but they don't look weird or anything. I have SUPER dark eyebrows, I'm afraid I'd look like a tranny with blonde hair.

    ReplyDelete
  13. u look so cool

    love ur shorts

    lovelie hair look too

    kiss

    ReplyDelete
  14. First things first, you are a babe and a half! Secondly, I covet those shorts! Thirdly, I was wanting those exact same shoes but I decided to go for the crazy zebra wedges seeing that I own too much floral in my weardrobe...but now you're making me want those again! <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look really pretty with your hair down. Just sayin'. Also, I wish I had the guts to wear a corset bra, but you make it look so tasteful and awesome.

    That eye-allergy sounds terrible. D: I have allergies to everything it seems, so I'm typically stuffed up, but luckily I never sound like I have a head cold. Did your eye hurt at all? Must have really sucked having to put up with that while you worked a seventeen hour day! Though it's good that your eye seems to have calmed down.

    Reading your article on Swide, I COMPLETELY agree with exfoliating often. I never wash my face without exfoliating the icky stuff off my face first, and it's done wonders for me. And thanks for linking to that article; I'm a dumbass when it comes to using makeup. I'll be using this as a reference in the future!

    Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go watch your new tutorial! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hair braid looks great on you. I have had so many eye problems as well. Viruses, infections, pink eye more times than you can imagine, and bkasdfkhsadkfh so awful, I know.

    Shopsofia.com = UM I NEED THOSE NEBULA WEDGES LIKE WHOA

    strawberry freckleface

    ReplyDelete
  17. And by shopsofia I mean stylesofia. :-X

    ReplyDelete
  18. could you show us how you make/cut most of your denim shorts?? you're so lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My fav outfit so far, keep up the good work bb

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the way you styled this outfit

    ReplyDelete
  21. First off, your outfit is perfection. I love the bra, your shorts, and your shoes so much! The shorts have such a cool cut to them.. Sorry you were so busy and not feeling 100% I shop at Urban Original (http://www.urbanog.com/) which is pretty similar to GoJane it seems... cheap shoes, and high school clothes. I really like those nail polish colors.. and I like how your eyebrows look. "high pressure braiding situation" haha! I liked your tutorial but until my hair grows out I cant braid it..


    http://iflyastarship.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the nude and simple tones... You look gorgeous!

    www.fashionisinthebeholder.blogspot.com

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my God! I love your tutorial!! I like it so much when you talk! And girl, your face looks gorgeous up close :) So want to meet you in person! Oh the outfit is so cute by the way - but maybe you don't like the word cute :l

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this look from top to bottom. I've been shopping for a hat like that, perfect for summer. And thank you so much for the hair tutorial, Ill be wearing my hair like that every day.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I REMEMBER KITTEN HEEL FLIP FLOPS! i had a pair in high school that i wore once. i think it was 10th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This outfit is so adorable I'm absolutely in love with those shorts!
    Also, just wanted you to know I recently started following your blog and your posts are all so well written and witty, really enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So I watched your video and I never would have expected you to have that voice! Your writing is sometimes so sarcastic and hilarious that I kind of expected a Daria voice! But no complaints.

    ReplyDelete