4.30.2011

68 - Are you a good witch or a bad witch? (or) In which we learn a little bit about Madeline's parents

Dress - Courtesy of ClubCouture, Cardigan - Vintage, Jewelry - Flea Market + DIY + Konstantino, Shoes - Wholesale-Dress.Net

When I was a little girl, my mother used to playfully ask me, "Are you a good witch or a bad witch?" I never knew how to respond. I was extremely self-concious as a child (see post #5 where I talk about the ways in which fashion magazines probably saved my life), and the ways in which I felt this question simultaneously put me on the spot and forced me to be very self-aware were overwhelming. I would have near panic attack in that moment. I suppose it never occurred to me to reply, "I'm not a witch at all!" or something equally childlike and silly. Instead, I would concentrate very hard, then raise an eyebrow and respond, "A good witch?" Crisis averted. 

I was not like other children, and my parents were not like other parents. My father is large, well over six feet tall (as a child, I would hide behind his legs when people at the supermarket tried to talk to me -- I did not like the way strangers condescended to me). He wears thick black horn-rimmed Buddy Holly glasses and is covered in tattoos. His knuckles quite literally read "GAME OVER", which is funny because they are probably the last thing you see if he is ejecting you from a bar on a night when you have perhaps had too much to drink and think yourself invincible. He looks big and mean and scary, but the second you plop a puppy or a child in front of him, you see that he is a just a big ol' sweetheart. As a child, I would sleep in his old punk tee shirts. The hemlines would drag on the floor, and I would ask my father who The Descendents were. Some nights, we would listen to The Clash in our apartment, him showing me how to play with electronic drums while I clipped my favorite bows and barrettes into his hair. Others, we would play Nintendo and draw pictures together. When I reached the fifth grade, he began taking me to concerts. The first one that I remember really well was No Doubt, with The Vandals as the opening act.  No Doubt was a ska band back then.

My mother is still young, petite, and beautiful. When I was a little girl in the '90s, she was in her twenties, and she would embarrass me by wearing flowery summer dresses with her Doc Martens. Sometimes, she would wear sweaters as skirts. She would just step into the neckline, pull it up around her waist, then tie the arms around the front into a bow, pairing it with a pair of beaded slippers. Her hair was short then, a black jaw-length bob with little bangs. On her wedding day, though, in the '80s, she looked just like Madonna, wearing a lace tea-length dress with her then-blonde hair curled up high in a pile, topped with one solitary earring. She sang The Cure to me and took me to thrift stores.

I have always thought that my personal style was a representation of my parents, equally. My mother has become an adult now (terrifying!) and works in an office, but she always wears a little something that is a tell-tale sign that she is still wonderfully wacky. Sometimes, she will wear appropriate attractive work attire from head to toe, then add one quarter-marchine ring, the kind that children get at supermarkets, all plastic and bizarre. My father has stayed true to his roots and will probably always be the hippest person I know.

I guess the whole point of this is that yesterday I was a bad witch, today I am a good witch, and every day I am my parents' daughter.

37 comments:

  1. "I love your outfit (l) " M.

    http://fashiondreams.overblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very sweet and wonderfully well written. Your parents sound amazing and I love the idea of your father as some softy old Punk.

    On a fashion note; I love the pop of color in your shoes, and I noticed your toenails are painted differently on each foot. I like the ways in which you find to add your own bit of spunk.

    xx
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story and yes, I agree with Claire, well written. You are a beautiful story-teller and your parents still sound very cool. This just reminds me of the photo I have of my parents from the '70s with my mom in a flowy puff-sleeved chiffon floral dress and my dad in tight jeans and plaid shirt. Yep, parents really are some of the hippest people I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I did not like the way strangers condescended to me"
    I can relate - I was very small for my age, but learned how to speak very young, so if I hadn't said anything people always thought I was younger than I was and talked to me like I was a baby. I liked to make them feel awkward by answering in perfect, snobby English.

    I think almost everyone goes through stages of being embarrassed by their parents, but then coming to admire them as people with their own style and personality. I just recently scanned some amazing photos of my parents in the 70s and 80s - I would love to see old photos of yours!

    p.s. this is perhaps one of my favourite outfits of yours. It's perfectly accessorized and I love the muted tones with the yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice look ;)

    http://magmoiselle.fr

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your parents sound really cool.. I bet that's why your styling it's so awesome and is always better to stand from the crowd than be "normal" Don't like normallity.. Love your style following you dear because your are amazing. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. your outfit is amazing and i love your story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. loooooove your shoes!


    thewallsaroundus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look so fabulous! Love the outfit!

    hugs and kisses by Mani.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so sweet to read where the roots of your style come from, and the fact that it comes from something so wonderful is also amazing. Your parents sound so adorable, and your style roots are so meaningful. A lot of people just develop a style out of 'what looks cool', so discovering where your style comes from is really enlightening. (Also, you make it sound really fun to have a dad. I was dad-less until I was twelve, when my mom remarried, and he was creepy and an alcoholic and went to jail. Thus, I have no real idea as to what having a dad's really like!)

    But hey, being a witch isn't a bad thing, necessarily -- especially if you're a good witch. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. super cute look. love every piece

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautifully written. i went back and read your past entry, and i must say that it's incredibly inspirational. thank you so much for sharing.

    ps: your hair looks great!


    http://dani.kastorandpollux.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. if this post isn't a love note to your parents I do not know what is... Good for you and you show a great courageous spirit...

    laurence

    p.s. I read your #5 post, and found out how come you are so literate and well spoken. Again good for you. Remain curious, always remain curious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. it's mind boggling to me how you manage to post such amazing things.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Madeline! This was my favorite post of yours yet. I do always love reading about your clothes, but this was really beautiful, and interesting to learn about your roots. It sounds like you have awesome parents, and like you had a pretty grand childhood. You look great as usual, the dress is so lovely :)


    http://iflyastarship.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love those shoes and this post. I like hearing what made Madeline into Madeline. very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loooove your outfit *_*
    And I love your hair style too :)
    You are very nice!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so well written. That was a beautiful text. I hope you don't mind, I borrowed some pictures from you!

    Love Despite color

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely love the way you write, how about writing a book perhaps? ;) (actually really hope so) , love your blog.
    Ps. Borrowed a picture from U before for a link and love the yellow shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great outfit dear and these shoes are amazing!!!
    Xoxo, K.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a delightful outfit, and thanks for sharing the details about your parents - they sound like cool people.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You write so beautifully, I really got stuck into your story. Your parents sound great. Thank goodness you've gained inspiration from your mother because I LOVE your style.

    ReplyDelete
  23. fisrt time visiting your blog; like it! and your style:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love you overall but I like you as a bad witch the most! Will you be in my coven?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fashion/photo wise- I love your yellow shoes (my favorite color!)

    Story wise-What a touching and wonderfully written story. Thank you for sharing it with us. It sounds like you and your parents are very lucky to have each other.

    ReplyDelete
  26. that sweater is gorg and love theshoes

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh, I love you telling about your parents! I'm very happy to read this post the moment I opened your blog for my first time.
    you look very lovely! I love everything about this goodwitch outfit, esp. your shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is quite possibly the sweetest post I've read in a long time. It tugs at the right places and you end up with a big ol' smile in the end. You are just a true delight Madeline (and apparently, so are your parents). (:

    I love the light, airy feel of your outfit. Such a great juxtaposition to your usual grungy looks - which I also adore.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Liking the colour of the cardi.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That was a thoughtful post! Your parents sound really cool. Your dad taking you to a No Doubt concert in the 5th grade? Go you! Hahah

    Anyways, those shoes are sleek and I really love how you do your hair. Wonderful style and awesomely written post (quite refreshing if you ask me).

    Keep up this awesomeness and check me out sometime!

    xx

    sftrend

    ReplyDelete
  31. i love your hair in this look! <3

    http://mischeldoublew.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. i loved reading your about your childhood! in fact, after reading it to myself, i read it to my bf and then said, "how awesome would it be to have cool parents like that?!" i listened to a lot of punk in my teens, but it would have been better to have a dad who had punk tees and tattoos!

    ReplyDelete
  33. blogs usually appeal to me for the pictures but yours is one of the few that i really love to read, i also went back to read the first entry and was really moved. im glad you found yourself, and even more that you are sharing little parts of you with us xxx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for sharing a bit about your parents and childhood with us. Your parents seem like good and fun people to be with. And the way you write is so beautiful! It's like you're telling a story. I've always wanted to write like that~

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a wonderful, beautifully-written tribute to your parents. They must be so proud.

    ReplyDelete