5.22.2011

79 - Okay, let's talk about jewelry.

ripped tee shirt - boyfriend's, vest - vintage, shorts - wholesaledress.net, shoes - jeffrey campbell, bag - military surplus, headscarf - vintage (tied into knot), sunglasses - from ebay, jewelry - konstantino + diy + flea market + random

I realized recently that I never talk about my boyfriend on my blog. Now, usually that would be just fine -- it's a fashion blog, who cares about boyfriends, right? However, it is worth noting that roughly half of everything I wear comes from my boyfriend. He is my size (we are both very tiny), and he has impeccable taste and an addiction to vintage. This tee shirt, for example, is a very old, soft graphic tee that he wore to the bone. All of his tee shirts end up tattered and torn because he just wears them to pieces. How he managed to rip the sleeve is beyond me. I'd like to think that it was something terribly exciting, like a near-miss at a knife fight in a 7-11 parking lot. I'm sure it was something painfully boring, like "I walked into a sneaky low-hanging tree branch that caught the shirt and snagged it".

This information, prompted with a healthy number of requests, has prompted me to do a post about all of my jewelry, since a good chunk of it is really his anyway.  I was dreading doing this, as it is such an undertaking, but I just couldn't escape it any longer. So now, I present to you my jewelry collection, grouped by origin...

Boyfriend Jewelry
I call it his fancy lady jewelry, for when he wants to be a fancy lady. The LA letters are designed and made by him, in bronze, wood, and resin. Pretty sveet. This is only the portion of his jewelry that I wear regularly; he has gobs and gobs more, and his closet would make you sob tears of joy and incredulity. Seriously, whenever I'm like, "Gee, I wish I had a...", he disappears for a few minutes, then emerges with like twelve options of desired garment.

Work Jewelry

You probably know by now that I work for a designer jewelry company called Konstantino. These are my Konstantino pieces, and I am just wild about them. Everything above is sterling silver & 18k gold, with some pieces in turquoise, rhodolite garnet, and black onyx.

Handmade Jewelry
All of the chain pieces on the left were constructed by me. I use the term "constructed" loosely here, because really it's just me with bits of loose chain and jewelry pliers, affixing random trinkets onto things. Thrown in the mix there is a Japanese coin that my dear friend Brian brought back for me when his band was on tour there, a tiny pair of scissors that Brian found at a flea market, and a green miniature pocket knife that my mother bought for me in Montana. The pieces on the right were all made by my Great Great Aunt Fran, a wonderfully wacky woman who liked to craft jewelry and pillows and kooky little dolls.

 Flea Market Jewelry
This is all of my flea market/Santee Alley jewelry -- egad, right? These are some of my favorite pieces, if you're ever in LA, send me an email and I will tell you where all of the best jewelry vendors are at the Melrose Trading Post flea market. All of the rings were between $5 and $10, save for the five-stone sterling silver & coral ring, which was $40.

Hand-me-down Jewelry
All of this jewelry was originally a relative's. My great grandmother was a fashion model, and when she passed away, I received most of her costume jewelry.

Vintage Purchases
Right when I finished taking pictures, I found a hunk of other vintage jewelry and I am so disappointed that I didn't photograph it! C'est la vie. Anyway, the above is all secondhand jewelry that I have purchased at non-flea market places, either from shops or eBay.

Gifted Jewelry
These pieces were all gifts from someone! The etched sterling silver bracelet has a Ralph Waldo Emerson quote on it, and it was a gift from my mother when I graduated from high school.


Regular Ol' Purchases, New Jewelry

And here is the last grouping, jewelry that was purchased new from regular ol' shops like Forever 21, J. Crew, costume shops, and little boutiques.

46 comments:

  1. Wow! You have an amazing collection! and the shoes, I loooove the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing. I love the little pocketknife on the necklace. Really some great pieces. And I love that you are able to wear your boyfriend's clothes and jewelry! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm dying a little inside right now. your Jewelry collection has got me jaw dropped! If I ever make it to CA, i'm hitting you up.

    -Jana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the jewelry and your shorts

    ReplyDelete
  5. your jewelry collection has me drooling. & those crochet shorts are ah-mazingggggg.. I've seriously been looking for a pair for like, a year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would kill for the necklace from your grandma, the one with the huge red stone

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy crap. I think I may spend a good 4 hours on this page just ogling at everything.

    I'd love to see a pic of Mr. Jean Greige. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm completely jealous of your collection of jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um you are Amazing! LOVED this post on jewellery, I have just started a silver jewellery class and am loving it, hopefully ill oneday get to make my own amazing jewellery! Woo!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. dude, you have some rad jewelry. I thought my jewelry stand (now turned into jewelry table) was overflowing.

    I feel a little better now, thanks to you! But I am also secretly jealous of the awesome stuff that your boyfriend and you wear!!

    xx

    sftrend

    ReplyDelete
  11. oooh mah god. your jewelry collection is truly amazing. I think this is my favorite of all of your looks.. at least it is my favorite of your more recent ones.. those shorts are perfect, and the fringey vest.. ah!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should definitely show us your shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice collection ;D

    Cannes by GARANCE DORE
    http://magmoiselle.fr

    ReplyDelete
  14. love this outfit, especially the shorts :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Waw, you have a lot of jewels *3* Nice collection, I really love the ones you designed for Konstantino *3* (the blue ring and the cross!)
    The ones from your grandmother are fantastic too! She had good taste as you ^^
    I love your outfit of the day, particulary the lace shorts, perfect!
    Kisses from Paris! ^3^

    Pandore
    http://agirlfromlutetia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so jealous! I wish Tim had jewelry! Wah!


    Tropic of Unicorn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, and it's really rad that Lamson designed those LA letters! He should sell those babies--stat!
    Tropic of Unicorn

    ReplyDelete
  18. you blog is one of my favs i love how you put your outfits together, lusting for your jewelry :] xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. So jealous of you having a boyfriend with such taste you can nick clothes of, love to see a picture of him and his clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your dark hippie style =D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't even begin to figure out how to string into coherent sentences how much I love your leather vest. I keep trying, but words fail me.

    I'm endlessly fascinated by the fact that you get a lot of your jewelery staples from your boyfriend. (And the fact that you two are roughly the same size; you must be the most adorable couple ever. I imagine what you two must look like, wearing your vintage jewlery and torn t-shirts.)

    Also holy crap, is that a turtle ring I see at the bottom of that Flea Market Jewelery photo? ♥

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is awesome! i love your vest and crochet shorts.
    man, your jewlery is insane!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. duuude I haven't seen anyone with such good style! just wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your shorts and your jewerlly collection is just amazing!! So colourful and beautiful.

    www.fashionisinthebeholder.blogspot.com

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow your jewelry collection is quite impressive! I love the way you styled the photos, too!

    xxx
    www.ladyalamode.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is beautiful! You have one of the coolest jewelry collections I know!

    Love everything!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  27. first things first PERFECT outfit, I love the waist coat and the shoes.

    Secondly your jewelry is immense so jealous of your collection. Skull stuff is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the way you wearing your beatiful jewelry.
    Your collection of rings is more than amazing.
    I hope you will show them all on your hands next time.
    Don't stop wearing them, please.

    best regards
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Loving your jewellery sweetie!

    Love Despite color

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow!!! that's one hell of a collection, your bf is super stylish, i wish i could raid mine's and actually come out with something to wear (he is really tall and everything is like XL) i love this look, your John Lennon glasses are epic and not to mention your clogs!

    LOVE THIS!

    x Lauren
    youronlyblackswan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. It must be amazing to be able to have access to a guy with great taste's wardrobe. Nobody that I've dated has ever understood, let alone related to, the whole vintage/deconstructed thing. You are very lucky! Beautiful jewelry collection, as well.

    Cad
    http://cadattack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, your jewelry collection is amazing! And I must say I love every item of clothing in your pictures. They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  33. so mike is sitting in bed with me and first he asks, "why are you smiling?" and i say, "because madeline is so cute!"

    then i showed him your jewelry collection... then i made him look at pictures of you demanding him to tell me how awesome you are. then he said, "why don't you just marry her?"

    ReplyDelete
  34. i love the rings that you've photographed!

    xo,
    c

    ReplyDelete
  35. Where to begin? I love those crochet shorts. I kind of think I need them. But I just bought a pair! Your jewelry collection is seriously amazing, especially your stuff from your boyfriend. That turquoise bracelet is sick. And I love your dagger earring.

    ReplyDelete
  36. amazing!!! love the outfit & accessories!!

    http://imjustmefashionblog.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. haha omg you and your bf are the exact same/opposite of joey and I- we both love vintage and share clothes, but joey and I are giants. So instead of being cute and tiny together in our shared vintage tee collection, we are "that giant couple" in our shared vintage tee collection.
    Your Konstantino stuff is amazing- I wear my "Madeline the gifting fairy" bracelet pretty much every day, love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  38. wow! love all the skull Jews! I love Skulls !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. those mules + your sunnies + the headwrap = total swoooon

    you are gorgeous!! Linked ya on my bloggy.

    xo
    M

    ReplyDelete
  40. thats an impressive collection and those shorts are OMG! xxx

    ReplyDelete