7.15.2011

94 - I Wish They All Could Be...

Earrings + All Jewelry on Camera Right Hand - Courtesy of JFR.SE, Other Jewelry - Konstantino + Random, Shorts - UO, Sweater - from LF, Shoes - Jeffrey Campbell from LF, Nail Polish - Gargantuan Green Grape by OPI

Hey d00ds, what's up? I've got 3 things on mah mind today, which is going to make for a schizophrenic post, but if you bear with me, I think (hope?) it might be worth your time. Without further adieu, let's begin...

1. JFR.SE
JFR.SE sent me over some epic jewelry. Do you remember the snake ring from the last post (they put me on their website and everything -- so nice!)? Well, it's pretty much permanently affixed to my hand. Also, I have awkward child-sized fingers, meaning that rings never fit me, and this ring is even more awesome because it is stretchy and actually fits without falling off. True story: I accidentally mailed one of my favorite rings to one of my favorite coworkers once. It just flew right off of my hand into a box I was packing, and I didn't even notice. Anyway, so the ring fits, and that's just swell. The big huge mega cuff is also from them, as are the two zomg-amazing earrings. I am a tacky, tacky person, so I obviously opted to layer the silver cross earring cuff chain thingy over the wooden one. If you can believe it, I have even more rad jewelry from them, which I am just waiting to wear. One article is a pair of chain earrings with dangling feathers that connect across the bottom! Someone asked, based on my last post, if the jewelry was in Swedish Krona or Euro. It is in KR, babes, so it is super-affordable. Also, the whole website is in Swedish, so I recommend ordering your jewelry whilst surrounded by friends. Fake your way through the website and casually mention to them that you speak Swedish, fluently, duh. You will perhaps come across very cosmopolitan and intellectual. 

2. B00BZ
My friend Colleen and I were out last weekend and passed by a Victoria Secret. She wanted to pop in to pick up some brassieres that she quite fancies, and I am in the market for a nude or champagne colored thingamajig, so I went in with her. I was seeking a simple bra, no underwire, no padding, because I have very small breasts and I just want something so that I am not flashing the world superfluous nipple when I wear low-necked and transparent things. My champagne-colored satin bra is losing all elasticity from over-use. Anyhow (now we are switching to present tense), I go in and ask the nearest associate where I can find a bra without an underwire. She smiles knowingly, eyeballing my barely-A-cup chest, and brings me over to their underwire-free section. Somehow, defying all of my preconceived notions of bra-making, every underwire-free bra that they make comes with boobs built into it. Seriously. There was (back to past tense now, stick with it people) like an inch of padding in every one. When I explained to her that I quite liked the size of my breasts and I just wanted something simple, she showed me a bizarre bra that pushed and cajoled and coerced whichever breasts unfortunate enough to be poured into them into a completely unrealistic location and in unnatural proximity to each other. Also, it still had about 1/2" of padding in it. My only padding-free options were straight up ineffectual lingerie, which the woman showed me while apologetically explaining that most women want the padding, but with an awkward smile that suggested perhaps I should want some oomph to my lady-bits, too. Do they, salesperson? Do they want the padding, or do they feel like they need the padding because you keep telling them that they do?

This whole experience was a bit unnerving to me, and I will explain why. I think of Victoria Secret as being the goliath of the bra market. When you think boobz, you think Vicky. The feeling that I got from good ol' Vicky was that there is no possible way that I could be happy with my A-sized chest, and that furthermore, breasts are only attractive in one particular way: size large, close together, and high up. Don't get me wrong -- that can be hot. Ladies with boobs like that, rock them because that is awesome. However, I would like to think that I should be comfortable with my breasts as they are, as well, and it is very upsetting that nothing in that store seemed to tell me that was an option. So, my solution? Continue to get my bras from American Apparel, because  say what you will about 'em (and really, they do have their problems there, but I am a bit of an American Apparel apologist because I am so pro their production practices), but they are one of the only major retailers who does not seem to suggest that there is something wrong with my breasts that needs to be remedied in order to make them socially acceptable. 

3. THRIFTEDANDMODERN.COM
So, the eBay store thrifted.net recently became www.thriftedandmodern.com. Ha, a-ha ha ha. That's what I did when I saw the website, because it was so perfect that I thought someone was playing a joke on me. It was Britney, actually, because she showed it to me. I thought Brit was playing an elaborate joke on me. The site is...mind-blowing? Insanely amazing? Like a gift from the heavens? Things are already selling out, so I don't know about you, but I am going to get my buyin' on. Naturally, these things are all fantastic pieces of vintage beauty, so they are out of my typical price range, but I think that I might treat myself because oh jeez, they are gorgeous and special and a little piece of history and of history in the making, because I intend to make history in every outfit I wear.


Also, the website is simply beautiful -- uniquely designed and truly very enjoyable. Just all in all...wow.

Disclaimer: I only accept gifts that I really think are rad, I never get paid to wear anything, and any write-ups I do are completely unsolicited -- I'm not obligated to gush on and on about, for example, how nice the people at JFR.SE are, and I'm not obligated to post links to their websites, and I'm not obligated to tell you that their jewelry really makes me go "squee" inside. I tell you nice things about my blog-partnery-people because I like them a lot, and I think you might, too, and I want to make sure that we are always on the same page with that, lest I come across like I am trying to sell you a used car or something (although if you are in the market for a used car, my heap of junk--I MEAN GLORIOUS BEAUTY OF FINE MACHINERY--is always on the table for discussion). I'm not trying to sell you anything, because you are all intelligent people with agency over your preferences and decisions, and you will decide for yourself what you want to purchase. Yeah...

56 comments:

  1. Madeline, I am a very small B and lately I've been buying my bras from Express. I know. Place is kind of awful and conjures up memories of shopping there with my mom and observing lots of bad business separates. But they have THE BEST triangle bras. Victoria's Secret is awful, what a weird experience and I would kind of want to smack that salesperson for suggesting that you wanted the padding.

    I realllly love the Jeffrey Campbell shoes you have on. And your cuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its crazy how VS has completely taken over the meaning of undergarments, its all about looking sexy for others instead of feeling comfortable and secure with yourself. Awhile ago, Victoria Secret started carrying an Italian label called "Intimissimi", simple structured bras without padding that fit like how a bra should fit. Unfortunately, VS dropped the line within just a few months, probably because women were more used to buying things with 2" of padding...

    Loving your long locks, your hair would look awesome in colorful pastel shade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love not only the way you style yourself but the way you also present yourself. always such nice things to hear form you x

    http://moonriverr.blogspot.com
    amyxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the earrings! They are beautiful.
    I agree about the whole padding situation! I never paid much attention to how they make it seem like we need to have big nice boobs.
    ps. I also agree with 'hillary, mammal and lamb'. I would love to see you hair in a lovely pastel shade. I think you will look amazing!
    -Zuleydi

    http://leaveitatthatt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love this post!!!!

    cute freaking outfit!
    estefaniap

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must be really annoying to be happily small-breasted in a world where women are 'supposed' to be voluptuous and cleavagey. I have average sized boobz but I swear, trying to find an affordable bra with zero padding or moulding which is also supportive is harder than finding the holy grail, because they only make that kind for women with massive boobs. WHY OH WHY can't underwear retailers acknowledge the fact that some people are happy with their bodies?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice look.... i looooove the short ;D


    Covers:PARIS HILTON Rock-chic in V magazine
    http://t.co/QUaFkFt

    ReplyDelete
  8. absolutely love this look! all the pieces together, and all the pieces separate from each other, all of them are perfect! on the lookout for such a sweater for a long time already...

    www.fashionfillers.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. by the way, is there any brand name tag in the sweater? would be great if you could tell, as we don't have LF in the netherlands...

    ReplyDelete
  10. your style is absolutely amazing, you have such a unique look. i love the shoes too xx

    http://whothefuckismickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I checked the website out last night and was pretty stumped at the fact that even when hitting the Union Jack icon at the top of the page, that a lot of the website remained in Swedish. I'm going back for another peek because damn, the stuff you're wearing is screaming, 'buy me!'

    Madeline! I seriously just had an experience like this two weeks ago while bra shopping, instead I was at Target because I'm cheap, and all of the 34As were too big in the cup (no idea how they managed that). Thus my alternatives were 1. to buy the bras that literally promised to 'add two cup sizes' or to go to the little girl's section and get what I wanted: a non-underwire with a hint of padding. I had to opt for the second choice and I lost all dignity that day. At least it's a comfortable bra, but I feel embarrassed any time my fiancée catches me in it without a shirt. Like, even if I did want to go up a cup or two, I'd look absolutely ridiculous, some people are proportioned in such a way. I don't know why the 'intimates industry' doesn't anticipate that.

    Man, that website is stunning! Though I'll probably put that one in bookmarks for a later day, as my next planned 'big splurge' is to save up for a pair of Jeffrey Campbell's, because my life won't be complete until I have a pair to call my own. Once I've bought some, though, I'll probably hit Thrifted & Modern for something insane to pair with them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love everything about this post ! the outfit is AMAZING and your comments are so true :) I have fairly large boobs and find the padding equally annoying... why do they seem to think bigger is better???
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so absolutely refreshing to find someone who is small chested (like myself) and actually HAPPY and PROUD to be that way.
    The majority of my friends have heaps of curves, and I hate to say that it makes me feel slightly inadequate but when you're surrounded by these WOMEN (or at least what society decided a woman should look like), it sometimes makes me feel like a little girl next to them.
    Even my friends who are smaller chested are the type who go into Victoria's Secret and make a bee line for the double pushups or whatever the hell those horrid contraptions are, and kind of stare at me blankly with confusion when I tell them that I'm completely uninterested.
    So anyways, basically what I'm saying is thank you for posting about this, because I think it's something that a lot of women deal with and nobody's really there to remind them that they can still love what they've got.

    Cad
    http://cadattack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh wow... you're so beautiful *_*

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your look today, but I wanted to comment especially on your take on Victoria's Secret. I'm a 32A, and that's a hard bra size to find in most stores (and even if a store carries it, it's rarely cute). I swore the store off this year because of the same reason - an inch of padding into every bra, especially for us smaller ladies! They even have bras that enhance you TWO cup sizes! While I get having larger breast is society's beauty ideals, that's something I was picked on in high school because of - I'm not looking to change who I am.

    I think it's a mixed message the company is sending. While everyone should be at peace with their body types, I feel that company especially strives to alter it in as many subtle ways as possible. It's a pet peeve of mine too.

    Anyways, happy side: glad you can blog about serious topics most girls can relate to! I'm proud to read your take on these things, and the sexual harassment situation in the previous blog. Kudos for being fashionable and well-rounded.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Victoria Secrets is so overrated from the get-go. It's nice to know that you have such high self-acceptance of your body. It's refreshing to see a lady who embraces the curves of her body, no matter the size or shape. Keep on keepin on! :}

    I loveeeeee your outfit by the way. The textural mix of the sweater and shorts is genius.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the outfit, the shorts with the sweater is a perfect combo! nice pop of red too

    www.fashionisinthebeholder.blogspot.com

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. you are gorgeous girl!!! love your outfit!!! always looking forward to your updates. keep rocking!

    xoxo
    http://summermisfits.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I saw the most amazing bathing suit in the VS catalog the other day and was so disappointed when it said "ENHANCES 2 CUP SIZES". All I could think was basically what you mentioned- what if I'm happy with how I look? Who wants mounds of artificial cleavage when, upon removal, it disappears? Why lie to yourself? I find the notion ridiculous. Anyway, this was a great, refreshing read :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, and I love your hair like that!

    ReplyDelete
  21. yeah, i have also small breasts and i´m happy with them. i can´t understand why most women want to pretend that they have a chest bigger than it is. what´s the promblem? maybe they are insecure about it...

    and, as usual, you look amazing

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE your style.

    I'm the same way about bras. Might I suggest waiting until VS has their semi-annual whatever the hell time of year sale? That's when I find the simple bras: no padding, no underwire that digs into your ribcage...just a freaking simple bra. And they're always 50%-70% off too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm posting this anon bc I'm afraid it's a little TMI.
    I have the exact opposite problem: my boobs are simply too massive for my tiny frame (I'm anywhere from a 30ddd-28g). What's ridiculous for me is:
    a. My size doesn't exist in most stores.
    b. Many of the bras I do find are STILL. PADDED. EXCUSE ME?
    c. Basically, although society supposedly prefers the 'tits on a stick' look, it's almost impossible to find clothing or undergarments that fit my obnoxious shape and don't make me look like a tramp/SoCal housewife. But I guess that's the point. Exasperated sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great knit..I especially love your leopard shorts!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Even dressed simply, you look incredible! I shall definately be checking out the website!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Madeline, you've simply explained my life story when it comes to boobage. I am a 32A and over the years have become quite comfortable with their size, whereas in seventh grade all I wanted was to be a size 34C like every other prepubescent girl. Ugh. The fact that you are proud of your size, makes me happy and proud of my size as well. I've gone into VS numerous times and have always left unsatisfied. I'm a big fan of the lacy triangle bras at UO only because there are no American Apparels in Fresno...oh well. Besides, putting two inches of padding on a small boob is such FALSE ADVERTISING! Take off the bra and poof! Where'd the boobage go? It's all such a charade and a circus. I don't want to play peek-a-boo with my boobs, I'd just like to be comfortable knowing I don't need to show them off. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  27. love this post!! your sweater is amazing and I would like to say that, i completely agree about what you said about bras etcs, I find that really annoying as well... stick to american apparel is what I say !! :D

    http://pinklemonsorbet.blogspot.com/

    Meena xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I want those Tardy boots more than anything right now, difficult to get hold of in the UK! :( xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh my god do I love those shorts! & all your new jewelry. & seriously american apparel is the best for us small chested ladies. I hate that a-cup bras EVERYWHERE else try & shove padding down your throat.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I know what you mean about the bra thing! Soooo frustrating. If you have Aerie where you live, I've found that they have a lot of options for smaller sizes, and not so much padded, over-the-top-cleavage-making-nonsense. I got a few good ones recently, just thin lacey things, and actually just posted a photo on my blog, you can check it out here if you're interested: http://glitter-and-ink.blogspot.com/2011/07/basics.html

    I'm a new follower by the way! I looooove your blog!!!

    xo
    ZK

    ReplyDelete
  31. I totally agree with you on the boob thing. Un-padded, un-underwired bras are the only ones that don't pucker off my chest if I'm anything but sitting with a rod up my back.
    I love the asymmetrical earring fest and the delicious sweater.

    P.S. Your writing style makes me want to keep on reading and crack up all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  32. that really is one mega-cuff, <3 it. I have A boobs too and I definitely get the same feeling in Victoria's Secret. I've only recently come to like my teeny boobs and I'm glad you commiserate.

    Also, I like how "social commentary" is one of your tags. very appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  33. You look ridiculously amazing here! Definitely one of my favourite looks form you!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh my goodness, talk about gorgeous? You have amazing style to. I'm definitely going to check out all the links you've posted they look lovely!

    Lily at Red Brick Lipstick

    ReplyDelete
  35. we've just discovered your blog and we love it!
    great looks! :) follow you right now

    x
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  36. yowzah!
    so good!

    <3m
    www.themavenpost.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Leopard shorts, damn, I need one !

    ReplyDelete
  38. i can't stand VS. i am 34b, and none of their bras have ever fit me. NONE. i have been measured (and they suggested a 32d --wtf) and tried on every size and shape imaginable. most of the time i need a little underwire, but not always. i actually found a cute triangle bra at f21 for $6. i often just buy bras at target because i'm lazy and they fit. but you have to then stoop to the obligatory padding, which i don't mind in the winter cuz it keeps my boobs warmer :P

    ReplyDelete
  39. victoria's secret gives me small panic attacks. your sweater, on the other hand, gives me butterflies. so it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  40. i hear you on the booz issue. i actually bought a great triangle bra online from express... i know, really?
    ps: i love your shorts and adore the braids

    ReplyDelete
  41. i've had this bra problem since middle school. i don't want my boobs to look (fakely)bigger. they are big enough, i have the hardest time finding bras. for that reason i hate V.S. and would rather give my hard earned money to A.A. i will even go so low as to always look for bras at thrift stores and i usually end up finding more than any new 'specialty bra' retail store anywhere.
    you look amazing b.t.w. i'm kicking myself for getting the j.c. chloe knockoffs in black instead of red.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks so much for the mention! Brit is such a sweetheart for sharing my site with you. Love your style!!!! XOXO Lindsay

    http://thriftedandmodern.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. I Have no breast (32 A) , bra shopping makes me want to die... I hate bras with padding! I understand how you can feel. I don't understand why women should all have big breast. Anyway, your style is amazing as always!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  44. http://www.ginatricot.com/cde/de/kollektion/ccollection-p1.html#product_123805

    I don't know if you can order it to the u.s. but if you can-do it! best bra ever! Comfortabke and reaaaally pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I'm so glad I'm not hte only girl who has a major bra problem! I'm a 32A and I think padding is ridiculous. I was getting a lot of bras from American Apparel, too. UNTIL... I found the jackpot at Freepeople. The have a lot of really pretty bras with no padding, made for little boobs!

    ReplyDelete
  46. love that sweater and the shorts are super cute too! always have such interesting and unique accessories, keep it up!

    xxx
    www.ladyalamode.com

    ReplyDelete
  47. I LOVE THIS!!!!

    XO sisi
    vintageandbroke.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. love love this post, amazing sweater. X

    ReplyDelete
  49. Madeling you are too cool. I have so much envy!! I also want to wear the exact outfit you have on here today! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Spelt your name wrong sorry I type fast haha x

    ReplyDelete
  51. Thoooooooooossseeee earringggggsssssssss!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Great top color with the shorts. Boobs blow, I'd cut mine off in a millisec. Until then, duct tape every day.

    strawberry freckleface

    ReplyDelete