9.24.2011

116 - Kool-Aid Mermaid

Cut-out Sweater - Maria Luisa via ASOS, Dress - Wholesale-Dress.Net, Shoes - Jeffrey Campbell (ON SALE!). Jewelry - All Over, Purse - Courtesy of Rebecca Minkoff (that one is gone now, but this one is similar!)

So, I dyed my hair with Kool-Aid. I used grape, so I obviously thought it would be, duh, purple. What I did not expect is that the blue base of the Kool-Aid dye would mix with my yellow hair and make a strange green first. Now I have green-blue-grey-urple hair, like a bizarre murky mermaid. I videod the process, so I will probably post a tutorial to show you how Kool-Aid dye works and all of that jazz. I anticipate that it will last a couple of weeks to a month.

In addition to people asking me what exactly I call this color, I have also had people ask me why on earth I did it. To me, it made perfect sense. In fact, the more people lament the disappearance of my blonde Barbie "look-at-me-fellas-I'm-a-pretty-lady" hair, the more I like my mermaid murk. While I have never articulated it quite so succinctly, I expect that longtime followers of my blog understand that I love fashion because it encourages us to dress for fun and whimsy rather than for mainstream sex-appeal (which I, for some reason, equate with the alternative). As a feminist, nothing pleases me more.

Many elements of media and western culture have ingrained in us a visual of the ideal woman. What is a woman supposed to look like? I was taught by mainstream visual cues that a woman is supposed to be busty and blonde, with a lot of makeup put on in such a manner that people think she is not wearing makeup, and with a particular way of dressing that shows off key body parts in a provocative manner. This dress is tight. Here are my legs. Here are my breasts. There is certainly nothing wrong with a woman choosing to look this way, but there is something wrong with society teaching us that this is the way a woman should look. The only way a woman should look is however she pleases. Blonde hair or blue hair. Long hair or no hair. High heels or Keds. Makeup or unshaven legs. Adhering to trends or ignoring them completely.

This is why I love fashion. It presents such a variety of alternatives to inspire women. By showing us silly ways to dye our hair and wear awkward proportions and humorous accessories, fashion is really showing us ways to self-identify rather than allowing male-dominated perceptions of the feminine ideal to identify us on our behalf. This is the brilliance of The Man-Repeller. The more we step outside of the standard idea of "what a woman should look like", the more we have the power to redefine sex-appeal for our cultural standard. Sex-appeal should be based on confidence and intelligence. The way we look should be something extra but unrelated, something which we can have fun without fear of judgement or consequence.

Right now, my ideal woman is Vivienne Westwood. How is one woman so rad?!


***As we talk about the fashion industry presenting us alternative ideas of beauty, I feel it necessary to address the skinny model business. I will explain why fashion models are skinny, I swear. It's just a very delicate topic to address, so I keep chickening out. I will do it soon, though! Also, you can bet that when I do, I will also explain that there are certain extremes to which fashion has gone recently in regards to weight that are a little too intense to even fit into reason or logic.***

60 comments:

  1. I really like your hair! It seems like you dyed it like that on purpose, although you didn't. The kool-aid made a very cool effect!

    xx maggie
    saltandleather.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow you hair is so magical! :D love the heels too!

    http://pinklemonsorbet.blogspot.com/

    Meena ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hair looks awesome! ... Although you have to wonder whether peoples' insides also turn to mermaid murk when they drink that stuff.

    This was a very thought-provoking post. Got to love Vivienne, too.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm fucking loving your style, is awesome.

    http://rgvsworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. the best pair of shoes in the history of the universe in my opinion, they are FANTASTIC! and your hair does remind me of a mermaid which is pretty cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the hair! I've dyed with koolaid before, cherry on light brown hair... it only lasted a couple of days. The dye works better for blonds.

    Great point about how women *should* look. It's also interesting when you think about how we should look in relation to where we are location-wise. I just moved away from a place where I would get stares from people if I walked out of my house in anything besides a tshirt and sweatpants. It's liberating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ur shoes are beyond amazinnnnnnnnnnn


    love ur hair too

    kiss

    ReplyDelete
  8. actually stunning, your hair and your clothes and your shoess, reallyy love this look!x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What you've said about society's standards and expectation of the 'ideal woman' is what I've always thought. For the longest time, men were in charge of what women could wear and decided what is attractive, and they still try to reign supreme in this area. We shouldn't have to live in a world that is solely about being attractive to men. (God, it's bad enough that in a small, relaxed town, I still get cars honking at me when I wear shorts, heels, or a dress. I've even been cat-called at while wearing a long skirt, while holding my fiancée's hand.)

    Quite frankly, I adore the way your hair came out, and it makes me love your longer hair even more. (Not sure if you were still thinking about going shorter though, 'cos you look awesome either way.) Also, I'm now desperately fighting against buying a pair of those shoes in black, only because I have to buy someone's birthday presents with this paycheck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. gawwd. you are so eloquent. I love reading your blog. I love how your hair looks now, suuuper cool! :) I am just so happy that you are a feminist. thank you for all your words.
    Cant wait to see the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love how you express, not just your style, but opinions through your blog. I completely agree with your argument and I think women should dress exactly how they feel when they get out of bed in the morning. Thanks for sharing and by the way, your hair is indescribable! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic outfit! I like so much shoes and earrings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a great color hair!!! love so much!

    www.leblogdemasha.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my god your hair looks insanely amazing! I want I want! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Personally, I love your color choice, and the fact that you did it.
    It looks perfect on you.

    Can't wait to hear your opinion on the fashion model issue!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow i have no words for this, you look absolutely stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. you look great, the hair color is so cool, like a fairytale nightmare! Love those velvet shoesies, too

    <3Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH.MY.GOD. Your hair is fantastic!! I love love love it <3


    Join my My Memories Suite Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how your Kool-Aid hair coincides with Nevermind's 20th anniversary! Your hair makes Kurt Cobain's red kool-aid dyed hair kinda boring.

    The way the colours blend together looks so deliberate, it's amazing you can get that effect from a drink. You've really made me want to try it- you are definitely right about society's expectations of women being a certain way, I really admire all the reasons behind why you did it.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! And im totally digging the new hair. I really am considering putting a fun color in my hair, I just haven't decided what. I love the velvet shoes too, great look!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am speechless! The way you write is so beautiful, I wish you wrote paragraph after paragraph in every post like you did here. The outfit is breathtaking (like always, duuhhhh!!), but seriously. Per-fec-tion.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i ordered those shoes in black. they are perfect. thanks for the tip!

    LOVE your hair!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your hair looks AMAZING. I dyed my hair blue, but it only stayed for about a week :/ .... ill blog.

    ReplyDelete
  25. amazing new hair

    pinklemonincrystal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. If I color all my hair blue right now, I will blame you, cuz' you look freakin' gorgeous in your. Btw, love to read what you write, very deep meaning in them, but @ the same time simple & make logical sense ;) love your blog girl!!! Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. i just love your new hair! it's so cool <3

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your hair **
    Those shoes are fantastic

    Lady Fashion, OUI?
    Have a fashionable day! <3
    XOXO
    IT *

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've got to say that you rock that hair girl!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  30. you pull of those hair colors so well....i'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've been away from my computer & all social media for what feels like an eternity & as I click onto your blog I'm all like oh shit.. BLUE PURPLE HAIR! YES! I am a mega fan of this. I only wish I had the balls to do it myself! oh & your runway analysis from the last post.. so. spot. on.

    ReplyDelete
  32. DUDE! YOUR HAIR!!!
    IM DYING!!!
    SO AMAZING!!!
    DID I MENTION IM DYING AND WRITING IN ALL CAPS!!!
    F- YEAH!

    <3m
    www.themavenpost.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. knowing how you are, what you think, how is possible that people who are supposed to be your followers tell you that dye your hair is a mistake?

    ReplyDelete
  34. First of all, your mermaid hair looks amazing. Secondly, you put your thoughts on fashion so perfectly! Kind of explains why I always tell myself to stay true to my own style and wear what I want when I like a guy...

    xo, Cat

    ReplyDelete
  35. Personally, I love your hair. I think that it suits you.
    You sort of remind me of my aunt Melne, when she was younger. But she didn't have Kool-Aid hair, sadly.

    I totally agree with you about the whole what a woman is supposed to look like thing. I just read an article about it on Chictopia, and it's on my mind right now. I never thought of myself as a feminist, but maybe I am now? Anyway, thank you.

    Odelia
    http://youreatulle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love your hair, I love Vivienne Westwood and I love you for articulating your views here!

    ReplyDelete
  37. AMAZING dress! Have a great start of the week! XO Rebecca

    http://raspberry-rouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. love your gorgeous hair! the colour is insane...

    xo

    Bang & Buck

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your hair looks incredible like that!

    ReplyDelete
  40. your hair looks amazing like that, obsessed!

    xxx
    www.ladyalamode.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. on sale ?!?!? those shoes are amazing !!!!!
    ps, http://amandamantes.blogspot.com !

    ReplyDelete
  42. The obvious is that your hair is Sirenuse island awesome, and the other still obvious is that cut-out sweater. What?! Too good.
    strawberry freckleface

    ReplyDelete
  43. first of all i absolutely adore your hair color and secondly i agree with everything you said about the media... much love. xx

    shesingsndrinks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. No more talk of you being unphotogenic! You are extremely photogenic, and I love your hair. I really regret not committing fully to something similar when I was blonde, so I'm going to live vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
  45. the colour variation looks so deliberate, i never would have guessed that was an accident! love it.

    ReplyDelete
  46. WOW Madeline! This is such an awesome look, the best i've seen in ages and I LOVE your new Hair :D love the shoe & leopard combo xxxx
    http://philippa-clare.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  47. You look like a dreamy with! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  48. woaaa. I don't check blogs for a week and I come back and find your hair looking INCREDIBLE. The colors are beautiful, Madeline! I am so interested to see your tutorial. Love it

    -Jana

    ReplyDelete
  49. Your hair "mistake" has turned out awesome in my opinion. Absolutely love the hair, dress and shoes. Incredible x

    ReplyDelete
  50. love your hair! and that first photo is great. i wish i had a steady enough hand to do my eyeliner like that -_-

    abevyof.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. i adore your shoeeessss! nice photos.

    great blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Completly in love with your blog :)

    http://itsluckynumberseven.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  53. Your hair looks freaking awesome. Totally agree with what you said, too.

    ReplyDelete