11.03.2011

131 - DIY (Tie-Dye & Self-Timer)

Jacket - Vintage Levi's, Shirt - Thrift Store, Shorts - Thrifted Pants DIY Tie-Dyed, Velvet Boots - Vintage Courtesy of James Rowland Shop

With my boyfriend working so much, it's difficult for me to get blog photos taken. Brit has been kind enough to do them for me when she isn't at work, but I spend my days at home staring at a computer screen doing my real job, so it has been tricky. When my boyfriend set up the tripod the other day to take our John & Yoko photos, it hit me like a ton of bricks. Oh, duh. We have a tripod and that camera has a self-timer. I'm an idiot. So, this is my first attempt at taking my own blog photos. The angle isn't so great, and I'd imagine you'll get bored seeing this piano over and over again, but it's a great option when I go long periods of time without being able to coerce my loved ones into working for me for free.

These shorts were tie-dyed way back when I lived in San Francisco. A friend threw an amazing tie-dye party (because she is a genius) and I grabbed a pair of high-waisted pleated white slacks from the thrift store around the corner from her house and made myself some awesome shorts. We apparently made a pair of tie-dyed cut-off denim shorts that are the exact same color scheme for Tunnel Vision because Brit tried to wear them the same day that I wore these and we just looked like we were going to the Sadie Hawkins Dance together or something.

These shoes are...um...uh...whoa. I can't believe they exist, let alone that they are mine. They are so cool, and they feel like sock-shoes. Water socks! Do you remember water socks?! 

These velvet buddies are from James Rowland Shop. Seriously, that store blows my mind. Yeah, yeah, yeah. You've heard it all before. I only hope that the shoes and bags Brit and I carry in Tunnel Vision will be half as cool as the James Rowland vintage shoe shop.

Hey! Lastly, Wasteland sent me their first lookbook, shot by Jason Lee Parry!
 

27 comments:

  1. Woooooop! Welcome to the world of awkward angles via self timer! The photos are great, though. Dang those shorts are cool and I love the James Rowland shop, too. I found a pair of boots like that at the thrift store today, but sadly they didn't fit. :(
    That dang Lookbook makes me wish it weren't going to snow soon. I CAN'T WAIT FOR TUNNEL VISION!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some awesome shorts!!!!! LOVE THEM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the shorts and shoes! My friend and I have been planning a tye-dye party for AGES, but of course, it hasn't happened yet.

    xx maggie
    saltandleather.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. your self-timed photos weren't that bad! They're even quite good for a first timer ;)looking good as always! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! nice shorts!

    I take most of my photos with a self-timer but I've really been struggling to make them not look terrible. Your first attempt is way better than any of mine. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photos are still great! I wish I had someone to take my pictures for me, haha. Love those shorts.

    couturing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about the self timer thing. It's really hard. I got a remote for a few dollars on ebay and that helps a little.
    The lookbook is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. tie dye/craft parties sound amazing, I can't wait til we find a house! so I can house-tess!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Self timer worked great, looks like your boyfriend could be out of a job. Those shorts are so amazing and I'm looking into working out how to do some tye dye myself. Awesome shoes and I love the shoot you've featured.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing post!!! I looove it!!
    Xoxo, K.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love this post :) Im so jealous because in finland its too cold to walk on bare legs..

    cloudbusted.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. great post!
    i know it's hard with the selftime, got the same problem..
    www.linlicious-style.blogspot.co

    ReplyDelete
  13. I usually hate velvet a lot, but those look really good on you :O

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. those shoes are just the ones i 've search for! i so need a pair like that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. aaahhmazing shoes! I need some just like them for meeee! ahh! and your shorts are hella cool, I need much more tie dye in my life.. I think I'll just tie dye everything in my closet because you can never do overkill on tie dye. I seriously cannot wait for Tunnel Vision, I am so excited!! It is going to be sooo good. You & Brit are completely wonderful ahhh! <3
    Also, the Wasteland lookbook looks super great! woaaah. I am super jealous of people like you and the people who started wasteland, because you are living your lives so perfectly.. doing what you really love. bahh. I need to get myself into something I love a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. yeah your pretty good at self timing. mine always come out blurry or i'm blinking or making a hideous face. i just made a little corner in my house the other day for doing indoor photos-i also got a remote for my camera-for $3, it makes things a LOT easier.
    bluepea.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your outfit!
    Your style really inspire me :)

    XOXO
    http://foreverfashion-2011.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have the exact same pair of boots in my etsy shop, 'Oh! Darling Vintage' :).

    http://confessionsofavintagestoreowner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the idea of a tie-dye party!

    ReplyDelete
  20. o wow...loving all of these pics!!


    http://infinitelifefitness.com
    http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. WHOA! Hi Jean Greige! You attracted my attention very HARD! My bf told me that you remind him me in the first picture! :-) And the fact is that maybe we have really some similar details in our faces. :-) I like your blog and I will follow it. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so in love with those tie dye shorts, and that dusky pink coat in the first inspiration picture. Welllllll done.

    ReplyDelete
  23. shorts are pretty awesome.
    and love James Rowland's shoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those boots are killer!

    Kym
    http://abandonshipblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those shoes and shorts caught my eye right away. Being a boot lover, I can appreciate a pair of velvet heels. Love them! The lookbook looks great, and is making me want to do some shopping! Kudos to you for using the self-timer!

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow you're beautifull in this outfit!!!

    please visit my blog and follow if you like
    http://www.theivenothingtowearcloset.com/

    ReplyDelete