12.31.2011

144 - Music! Hole-y Moly!

Dress - Native, Sweater - c/o Romwe, Boots & Beanie - Vintage, Jewelry - Konstantino (mostly)

I'm finally back in California after spending a few days in Portland, Oregon! Portland was rainy and miserable, and I pretty much lived in that Chicwish parka that I love so much. The one thing I have learned about spending time in Portland is that nothing beats a pair of waterproof black boots. These ones are the best for running through puddles.

Brit took these photos on our drive. It's a simple little grunge outfit and was very comfortable for 15 hours spent in a car. I usually dislike contemporary clothing that has been distressed, but this cardigan is so over the top that I quite like it. It feels self-conscious, if that makes sense, as though perhaps it is in on the joke?

With the grunge revival being my go-to trend and all, I thought it would be nice to talk about how music influences fashion. Music is such a binding force in any counter-culture. It embodies sub-groups' political, social, and aesthetic values, and becomes a key factor in identifying "kindred spirits" out in the world. I've put together a list of the top 5 albums that have influenced me from each decade (each links to my favorite song from that album on Youtube), complete with a look that is inspired by each.

********************************************************

1950s
1950s
When most people think about 1950s counter cultures, the beatniks come to mind. However, Teddy Boy fashion is much more favorable to me. I love the combination of Edwardian and classic Americana influences. 

My 5 Favorite Albums from 1950-1959:



********************************************************

1960s
1960s



The 1960s were a versatile period capturing the mod look, as well as bohemian overtones that would emerge into the bohemian movement. Bold shift dresses worn with chandelier earrings, Twiggy eye makeup, and Beatles-esque boots make a great party look -- even better if the dress is vintage.


My 5 Favorite Albums from 1960-1969:


Runner-Ups:





********************************************************

1970s
1970s


The 1970s were by far my favorite period for music. From psychedelic rock to punk and the start of post punk, everything good had a role in that decade. I love the glam quality of 1970s fashion with mixed textures and prints.

My 5 Favorite Albums from 1970-1979:

Runner-Ups:


********************************************************

1980s

1980s

The 1980s were more of a transition period than anything else. The post-punks were the ones with the best style: simple beat-up jeans and a band tee every day, hair bleach optional.

My 5 Favorite Albums from 1980-1989:

Runner-Ups:


********************************************************


1990s
1990s
We've seen so much about '90s fashion lately that I hardly feel obligated to comment. However, I do recommend checking out the '90s Drew Barrymore Tumblr if you have not already.

My 5 Favorite Albums from 1990-1999:
(^this is actually a link to a song from a different Pulp album^)

Runner-Ups:


********************************************************


2000s
Too soon, dudes -- no Polyvore set for this one!

My 5 Favorite Albums from 2000-2009:

Runner-Ups:


********************************************************

28 comments:

  1. This is such a good idea for a post and i'm glad to see some of my favorite artists on those lists. Happy new year Madeline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore your taste, those are a good choice of albums too. Seriously. Everything is perfection.


    littleivory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. First thing, your outfit is amazing. I'm not always a fan of beaten up stuff either that's made to look like that, but I really really like that cardigan of yours. So I agree with you on that :) It's a simple look, but I'm a big fan of grunge at the moment, so it works.
    Secondly: your five looks are amazing. I definitely agree with you on the music part too.
    Happy new years!
    -Angelina
    www.angelinlace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your make up here :) You look really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so taken with your dress! Gosh, it's so simple and perfect.

    Cheers for the White Album! I know it's only a runner-up in your list, but dammmn, I love that one. (Rubber Soul's good too, but it can't beat my love for Revolver.)

    I can't figure out what decade collage here I like the most...probably the 90s. There's just something about black slip dresses, Docs, and a fur jacket. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holey Moley, i love your capability to put together a simple yet awesome outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pleased to see some of my favourite artists on those lists! What a fantastic post, I love all of the ensembles! Your outfit is gorgeous too. You always manage to effortlessly pull together a simple outfit, yet still look perfect. Happy new year! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love 1950's style, it's just down my alley! I love your outfit, esp the cardigan -- you look great in it. Happy new years!

    xx maggie
    saltandleather.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great musically inspired post! I add music in all of my posts and it is one of the most influential things in my life. Best to you in 2012 Madeline. Thanks again for all your sweet emails and such.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wicked look! and awesome playlist....great taste in music.

    clashlot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I looove these sets! I am totally inspired to spend a day channeling each decade next week :)

    Happy New Year!!
    <3Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  12. i think the sixties, seventies and nineties are the best era's.
    cool post :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pulp is awesome, but i must agree that the pixies did rock that album, you look stunning like always, love this blog, love your 50's and 90's I guess those are my favorite dacades, and also your 60's have a nice year dear

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! great outfit and cenary *-*/
    I love your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes to everything in your 70s Polyvore, and your outfit. I hear Portland is really weird (maybe that's why they make stickers that say "Keep Portland weird."

    ReplyDelete
  16. My boyfriend and I have been dying to go to Portland! #1 on our list of places to visit. I hope you and Brit had a great time! I enjoyed reading over your favorite albums and seeing what outfits you put together for each decade.

    entertaining as always:)
    happy new year g-thangg

    -Jana

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just found your blog, I love your style!!! Following!


    http://placequotehere.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sooo good damn gorgoues!!! sexy lady walking!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. your style is absolutely amazing, I just love your blog!!!following!
    check it almoust every day ;)


    www.houseofroses.blogg.se

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your style and you blog is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love all your looks (Thumbs up)

    Extraordinary-people.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. love this 1990's - cool

    lepenta.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. iv'e just created a lookbook.. it would be amazing if you could check it out..

    http://lookbook.nu/charmainecowland

    ReplyDelete
  24. YOU WRITE AWESOME POSTS, I HAD TO SAY THIS IN CAPSLOCK.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the 60's and 80's selections you posted :)

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. awesome post.. loving all the choices in clothes and music.. I'd just throw in some tunes by the doors, the who, janis joplin and jefferson airplane.. yeah I dig the late 60s and early 70s... stay cool!

    ReplyDelete